Tick Tack Toe - Obento!

Perhaps I am easily amused.  Well, I guess that's obvious because I'm having so much fun packing lunch.  :)  This morning, I decided to play with circle shapes.


Layer 1: Veggies and cheese, some crumb cake, slices of orange, and chocolate.


Layer 2:  Onigiri interspersed with meatballs and green beans.  The meatballs and green beans have been tossed with a light sauce.   The only real problem here is that I cooked a mixture of white and brown rice that wasn't quite sticky enough to hold together well.  For some reason, these onigiri worked just fine but when I went to make some for DH's lunch, they just fell apart.  I don't know what I did wrong . . .  

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

Frenchie said...

I bought ingredients to make lunch and send you pictures, but doing so requires that i actually take the time to cook in advance... Grrr... Maybe this evening.

Fontevrault said...

Dear Frenchie,
This bento wasn't made in advance at all. It is possible to make stuff in the morning. The rice is leftover from dinner. The meatballs are (I know don't fall over) premade from the store. So, making this bento was really easy.
1. Toss meatballs in a pan to fry (no oil). Go about making coffee and prepping breakfast.
2. When they look browned, add frozen green beans. Continue working on or eating breakfast.
3. When the green beans look defrosted, add some water, add fond de veau and some wine. Let reduce. While that is happening work on the rest of the bento.
4. Warm the rice in the microwave.
5. Make onigiri and then add meatballs etc.
6. Slice veggies and fruit for the top layer.
7. Slice crumb cake from the store and add to the bento. Why? Because it is DH's favorite thing in the world and I want him smiling.

I can't wait to see your work!!! :)
Thanks for reading!